Wednesday 12 December 2012

The Cupbearer and the Baker

I have now been in prison for quite some time. 4 days ago, I came to two of the prisoners, who had been put in prison by the Pharaoh. The first was a cupbearer and the second was a baker. They were looking dejected, because they had each had a dream the past night and wanted to know what it meant, so I offered to help them.

The chief cupbearer said, “In my dream I saw a vine in front of me, and on the vine were three branches. As soon as it budded, it blossomed, and its clusters ripened into grapes. Pharaoh’s cup was in my hand, and I took the grapes, squeezed them into Pharaoh’s cup and put the cup in his hand.”

I told him what the dream meant: Three days from then he would be restored to his position as chief cupbearer. In return for interpreting his dream, I asked him to remember me when he was freed, so that I could get out of prison too.

Then the chief baker told me what his dream was: "On my head were three baskets of bread. In the top basket were all kinds of baked goods for Pharaoh, but the birds were eating them out of the basket on my head.”

He was expecting good news after hearing what I had told the cupbearer, but he was disappointed. My interpretation of his dream was that in 3 days, he would be killed and his body impaled on a pole. The birds would eat at his flesh. 

So, three days later, the Pharaoh gave a feast, as it was his birthday. Everything happened just as I had said. But sadly, the cupbearer forgot about me, and I am still a prisoner. 



No comments:

Post a Comment